Tuesday 31 July 2018

ORIENTATION: BACHELOR OF COMMUNICATION UPM/ BACELOR KOMUNIKASI UPM



Hello everyone,
I have not written for a long time. Well not that long frankly but when I do write, I am clearly struggling to express my own thoughts. Today is the day of the long awaited UPU result. Congratulations, and here we are.

So the reason why I feel like I want to write in this post is because there are a lot of people who ask me about UPM, my course, and orientation. I feel like when I talked to A, i gave this information that I didn't to B and another added information to C. So here how the post goes, orientation & UPM and the course.

During my second year, I was one of the facilitators for the whole week of orientation. So this is basically based on what I kinda remember.

On the day of registration, there will be two sessions, so please check if you should register on the morning or afternoon session. Please please please come early if its possible. It will be crowded with people if you are late. I am thankful that when I registered back then, I am one of the earliest to arrive, so basically after settling the bills and etc what was required at the Dewan, I can just chill in the room for a while.

If you're a Communication student, you will be staying at one of the colleges in Serumpun. There are 4 colleges; K12, K14, K15 and K16. You cannot drive your car inside the compound, so you have to carry all the stuff from the gate to your room. There will be a mini bus (what i called) for K15's female students. This is due to the college being a little bit far from the rest. You will also have roommates, four in total but being parted by a divider. So 2-2. Back then, I was the only junior and alone for the whole week, in the room. 

Orientation, there is nothing to worry about. You will be getting free stuff like a bag, an academic calendar, a shawl or a tie. The best thing is you don't have to worry about food. Plus, I find the seniors here are very generous when giving food like they will scoop a big portion for you or you can ask for more, they're not really strict or unfriendly in my opinion. You will be listening to talks, a whole lot of talks. But for me the best part if you're in the Dewan Besar is the 'cheers'. Obviously, everyone knows K10 will be the loudest, will be getting on your nerves but just bear in mind, K10 will always be K10 (refer to my post header).

What do I have to bring or prepare? Just prepare whatever documents that are stated and also don't forget to bring baju kurung putih kain hitam or any white shirt with black long skirt/pants. This is for Majlis Ikrar Pelajar. Juniors often forget to bring this.

On the last day of orientation (do ask your facilitators), please make sure to register as soon as possible. If you're late and unable to register to one of your subjects, you have to go to office and ask for 'buka quota' and the process is long, but not that long just there will be so many people at the office. Also, don't hesitate to ask your seniors like ask them a lot about everything, especially about registration, LAX, BBI, and CEL. Its so confusing for me at first. 

Now, I'm going to talk about the course, Bachelor of Communication. The lessons will be delivered in English (one of the main questions asked) and you'll learn the basics, however the last two subjects are your own choice. Please refer below:

BBM3401 (Advanced Malay Language)
KOB3201 (Introduction to Mass Communication)
KOM3403 (Public Oration)
KOM3207 (Introduction to Communication Theory)
PRT2008 (Agriculture and Man)
CEL2102 (Effective Listening and Speaking) *Based on MUET
+LAX2019 (DIY Project)
+QKB2108 (Stage Management)

It's not that hard. It's fun especially if you enter Dr. Nizam's class. You will be facing due dates, assignments and etc but I'm sure you're used to it anyway. 

You will get your major at the end of your first semester, for this one, please refer to the first post after all the Malay posts.

So I guess, that's it! Good luck :)

Regards, 
Alia Izzati




No comments:

Post a Comment